Monday, October 1, 2007

Class Days and Rainy Days

Signing on.



When I was a kid whenever there is news of a coming typhoon, we already had our ears glued to the TV or the radio, expecting to hear what would be every student's best wish: suspension of classes. WAHOOO!!! That would perhaps be a break to a rather another dreary day in school. But for some reason, as if the heavens conspired with nature, the day that should've justify the early announcement by DECS didn't turn out as expected it to. Instead, it turned to be a perfectly fine day. Even the sun peeks through the clouds. Bummer! On the same token, when they announce that there are classes, the opposite happens. While inside our classrooms in the middle of discussion, all of a sudden..





CRASSSSHHH!!! BOOOM!!!


KA-BLAAAAM!!!



Just our luck. I remember when I and my two sisters are studying in a private school in Pasay when that happened. We couldn't get a jeep, so we rode a tricycle and we got stranded before we could reach our home. We ended up threading through flood. Good thing the level is only knee-length, so is was okay for us to wade through. I thought that that would be the first and the last time that I will go through that. Or so I thought.

Fast forward: College



It was Saturday and I was a sophomore then. That was just a regular day for our ROTC and the weather was not a fine one then. After the drill as I was inside the jeep heading for home rain began to fall down heavily. When I am about to board another jeep I heard that the water level has reached to chest-level because the nearby dam has released a considerable amount of water for it can no longer contain it; the road is right beside the river. Since it was the only way home, I was forced to wade through it. The current is strong but managable, as I slugged through the water for hours. It was finally nightime when I finally reached home.



How I wish DepEd and CHED were accurate in announcing the suspension of classes to spare students from trouble. Just like what happened to me.

Signing off

No comments: